I figured out why Eva says she doesn't like tennis. It's because the instructors are male. She is used to having female instructors and it's been tough for her to get comfortable with the change. It's such a relief to know why! I was so frustrated because she looked like she was having a good time in there but then she'd come out and say she doesn't like "anything about it".
I reminded her that her music teacher at school is a man. She acknowledged that but said that her female teachers were always there. So I pointed out that I am right there on the other side of the glass, the whole time. That gave her pause. I asked her if they've ever growled at her, yelled at her, bit her, or been mean to her. She answered no, chuckling a little. Hoping that she'll work this through now. I think this is a great opportunity for them to (a) get some exercise, (b) learn a new skill set, (c) feel that sense of accomplishment that comes with skill development and of course (d) have some fun!
As for Micah, he sometimes says he doesn't like it but I can tell it's just because he hears Eva saying that. The last two Wednesdays Micah has done tennis while Eva stays in the crafts class, and he's a little shy about getting into the squash court at the beginning, because he's not used to doing the class without Eva, but he does fine once he's in there. Yesterday he cracked me up. They were supposed to be bouncing the ball then hitting it but he decided it would be much more efficient to just kind of let it go in front of the racquet and whack it. He stood right beside the ball basket and fired dozens one after the other until it was empty. I admired his enthusiasm!
-
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!