Wednesday, December 9, 2009

TKD

I think I enjoy the kids' class more than they do! Well, I definitely look forward to it more than the kids do. Every time I announce with great excitement that it's time to go to Tae Kwon Do, the kids groan, "AwwwwwwWW!" I think (hope?) it's just because they're kind of tired by that time in the day. During warm-up they always have giant grins plastered on, with a similar expression to a dog with its head out the car window.

Their teacher, Barbara, is really really good. She got to one or maybe two steps away from representing Mexico in the Olympics. She obviously enjoys children and knows how to work with them effectively. She keeps the classes moving so the kids don't lose interest and she pushes them farther and faster than you'd think possible.

In the short time since they started, Micah's attention span has increased considerably. He used to tune out at around the 30 minute mark. Yesterday it was about 50 minutes before he began kissing the mirror and contemplating his navel. It is so incredibly cute to see these little guys standing at attention, bowing, and doing all the different movements.

My heart swells when I watch Eva. She has developed such confidence and self-assurance recently! She is the first to volunteer when Barbara asks who wants to do something in front of the class. Her shouts are among the loudest. She has an obvious sense of belonging among her peers. These changes are so huge, as she has struggled with self-consciousness. Answered prayers!

I see so much of myself in Eva, and Andrew in Micah. In their learning styles and ways of being. It makes me chuckle as I see Eva trying to be 'efficient' when doing different movements, and the way she focuses on following instructions as exactly as possible. And then there's Micah who just kind of does stuff as he sees fit. He sees the basic idea of the exercise and isn't so concerned about precision so much as getting it done.

Next Friday Eva will test for her orange belt. Apparently it's a "massive" test day with all the local schools attending. Should be interesting. I'll be sure to take my camera.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this post. Micah lasting 50 minutes before kissing the mirror and checking out his belly button....Eva trying to be as precise as possible. Great visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post also! Can totally picture Micah once he is 'done' and love that Eva is progressing so well with her self confidence!
    TKD seems to have been an excellent choice for the kids - way to go Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to Eva on her test for her orange belt! I know she will do really well! Exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just imagine it (thanks to your video shared previously). I'm so glad to hear of Eva's boost in self confidence. So awesome. You have GREAT kids!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!