Monday, March 9, 2009

Cosmic Cookies

The kids and I made these cookies today. I got the recipe from the Delicious Nutritious Frugalicious blog.

I made one batch using the recommended 1/3 cup but the cookies were so ginormous I downsized to tablespoonfuls and I liked that better. I might even make them smaller next time, because they are so hearty Eva didn't even finish one of the smaller ones. FYI they don't spread so you can space them closely on the cookie sheet.

I am really stuffed up right now so I can't comment too much on taste, but I love them based on the ingredients alone. They are practically guilt free! They make an excellent quick snack or road trip food.

I substituted plain unsweetened yogurt for the oil and slivered almonds for the pumpkin seeds.

2 1/4 cups oats
2 cups flour
1 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 3/4 cups dark chocolate chips or carob chips
1 1/4 cups raisins
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup oil (I used olive)
1 cup milk (use whatever kind you like... skim, soy, almond, etc)

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix all wet ingredients together in a small bowl. Mix wet into dry and stir until mixed - don't over mix.

Drop 1/3 cup of the batter at a time and form into cookies. Bake at 350 for 24 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!