
Any of you who have been to a Norwex party have already heard about the dangers of fabric softener. I quit using it right after I was enlightened, and my clothes didn't come out all stiff and static clingy like I'd been led to believe. I dabbled in fabric softener alternatives like baking soda or vinegar but found I didn't generally need them. That said, I did still have a problem or two. My front loading washer does such a good job of spinning that sheets in particular would always come out of the dryer really wrinkly. And if my dryer load was really small, the clothes would just ball up rather than tumbling, and they would come out looking terrible.
The solution to both problems? Dryer balls! This summer I ordered these dryer balls pictured above. And they are totally doing the trick. I highly recommend them.
Speaking of laundry, can someone tell me how to get stains out of clothes that are supposed to be washed only in cold water?
me too, for the whole post! I love those dryer balls (so do my kids--they steal them all the time, drives me crazy!).
ReplyDeleteHave you tried lemon juice on cold wash clothing stains? That's supposed to work for newborn poo on cloth diapers, so it might work on other stains too. Also, hydrogen peroxide works fantastic for blood and red wine and other heavy duty stains (may take a few washes/appliciations) so it might work on other stuff too.
For whites, baking soda soaks prior to washing work best on stains, even in cold water.
I've recently switched to cold water washing everything except towels. I'm surprised at how well cold water can wash clothes, if you have a good washer. Better for the earth, too!
Oh, and whites hung in the sunshine on a clothesline bleaches out tons of stains, too. Though coloured clothes maybe not so much? The fabric might fade...
Thanks for the thoughts!
ReplyDeleteOne more laundry question... do I wash the diaper covers together with the diapers, or separately?
I use the dryer balls too - stopped using fabric softener a while ago. I still use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser of my front-loader because I like the idea that it's helping to remove all the soap from my laundry.
ReplyDeleteIf you're interested, I make my own powdered laundry soap, too, and use it in my front-loader. Works just as well or better than Tide and I feel like I have more control over what I'm using on my laundry :o)
As for the stains, I still use Shout and use the Norwex rubber brush to rub it in well. The majority of our stains are grease stains, though.
I would totally be interested in making my own laundry soap, except I'm sure it would only be an exercise in frustration to find the ingredients here. But out of curiosity, what are the ingredients?
ReplyDeletewash covers separately from diapers. different fabrics=different needs! diapers need rougher treatment to agitate out waste. covers need gentle treatment to last longer.
ReplyDelete