Eva had her first day back at school. It went MUCH better than I expected! Even last night she would start tearing up at the very thought of it and I worried it would be tough this morning.
We have spent quite a bit of time preparing for this day. We counted down the weeks and days so it wouldn't sneak up on her. We did a little art therapy- I had her draw the things she was looking forward to and the things she was worried about. (Her concern was missing Mommy). And last night we had a long talk before bed. I reminded her that she had a choice about whether she concentrated on the sad things or the fun things. That there were good and bad things about everything. And I prayed for her.
More answered prayers! I walked her to her class, and her English teacher invited her over to the English classroom to help out. Eva took her hand and away she went. That was it!
I think it helped that she scratched her arm and got a special bandaid before school, and then got bitten by an ant right before we went into the schoolyard. Served as distraction.
When I picked her up she said that it was a "good" day. Her teacher confirmed that it had gone really well too. No crying, good socializing, and Eva was excited about going to the flag raising ceremony. Later in the afternoon, Eva mused, "Actually today at school was pretty fun!" I'm so happy!!!
-
This is awesome. You are such a good Mom, Dana. I am so impressed with the words of wisdom you gave to Eva about focusing on the good things and that there are pros and cons to everything. That is a lesson I only learned since moving overseas! What a great thing to be taught as a child. Way to go, mommy. And way to go, Eva!
ReplyDelete