Can you believe Joshua is almost 4 weeks old?
This week was going pretty well, with increased tolerance (though not full acceptance by any means) of car rides and some longer relaxed happy stretches. By that I mean up to ten minutes of just hanging out before he starts to fuss. Then Wednesday night he was restless in the night and needed about 90 minutes of bouncing to get back to sleep. Last night again he needed 2 hours and later another hour of bouncing in the predawn hours. The good news is that the tv programming is quite good in the middle of the night! I am catching up on old ERs and Greys Anatomy. I am also learning many valuable fashion lessons from Stacy, Clinton, and Tim Gunn.
I started keeping a food log. Wheat has been out of my diet for over 3 weeks now. Dairy has been out for a week or so. Today I had a bowl of yogurt so we'll see what happens. I didn't want to add either until he'd had about three really good days in a row, but I was so starving this afternoon that I caved. He's been somewhat fussy today so unless he has a dramatic reaction, I may not get a clear signal of intolerance.
I took Joshua to the pediatrician today. He weighs 10lbs 4oz (4,650g). His heart and lungs sound terrific. His abdomen looks and palpates fine. We hadn't done the heel prick test I know as "PKU" screening, and Dr. Flores recommended that we do the more exhaustive metabolic disorder screen test, so we will do that on Tuesday.
I'm still on the cloth diapering learning curve. I bought a little of this, little of that so I could figure out what I like and what works best for us and order that kind in the next size up. Well, four weeks in and I just don't know. I'm still trying to figure out how to fashion the perfect blowout-proof Poop Pocket with the prefolds. A lot of people seem to love one size pocket diapers, but they're so bulky up front right now, snapped down to the smallest size. I want to love them, because they have a nice soft liner that keeps baby feeling dry. That wasn't a priority for me because I want to do at least part time EC and I know that he is more likely to stop using diapers sooner if he doesn't get too comfortable in them. That said, I don't want him to have be too uncomfortable either! And he sleeps in such long stretches that his diapers get really soaked and I feel bad for him. His private parts get all wrinkly like he's been in the tub too long!
I found myself thinking that cloth diapers were really not very absorbent at all since they get so wet so fast. But right now he pees about every 10 minutes so of course they're going to get wet fast. And I rarely have a leak, whereas I remember needing to change Micah's leaky disposable diaper- and sleeper- in the middle of the night almost every night when he was younger than Josh is now.
I have been doing some EC. The other day we caught like 4 pees and poops. That was fun. If/when Joshua gets more relaxed I'd like to lay him out on a pile of prefolds or something and REALLY watch his cues and learn his elimination patterns better. But right now he'd last about a minute. So for the time being he's in diapers and covers all the time, with a number of potty opportunities throughout the day. And I change him as soon as I know he has pooped. At this point there's no way I can keep up with all of his pees. I'm hopeful that as he grows and his eliminations become less frequent and more regular/predictable, we'll be able to really get into an EC groove.
Joshua has already grown out of the cover I crocheted for him. I'll have to get going on the next size. I wonder if I can get two out of the wool I have left. I like the wool covers because I know they breathe, and the ones with the little legs contain blowouts better. The down side is that because the wool absorbs the wetness, a little gets wicked onto the baby's clothes. They just feel a little damp to the touch though, not wet like a leak would make them. I must say that the Bummis Whisper Wrap covers are really good. They do live up to their reputation. The Berry Plush minky cover truly is adorable and works decently over a prefold or fitted diaper, but I've had a few messes with the snap in insert so I'm not convinced of its value as an All In One diaper. I'm not sure about the Kissaluvs fitted diapers. They're great for Andrew who hasn't had a complete orientation to the cloth diapering world yet (but is putting in an excellent effort and being totally supportive), and I haven't had a leak. But then they just somehow feel even MORE wet than the prefolds when they're wet. Maybe I'm just being silly. But Joshua had some diaper rash in his first couple of weeks so I'm paranoid of anything that might cause its return.
I do like five loads of laundry a day. I don't know what has happened. I only wash diapers every two days and Joshua usually makes it through the day in a single outfit, so how has my load increased so much? Oh wait.... Could it be the copious number of "accidents" the older two are having lately? Well, this too shall pass... (and at least it's not puddle accidents, right?)
-
I've been wondering how you guys were doing! I guess I could of just called or emailed:) How are the big kids feeling about Joshua? Still tons of love? I know how hard those nights are where they need lots of holding. Oh man, so many nights spent pacing our house or walking around the block! But, as you know, once you figure them out a little, they keep changing! Thank goodness it gets easier. Can't wait to see more pictures of the kids, I can't believe Joshua is so old already!!
ReplyDeleteDo you think it could be that he's just a little fussier in his first 6 weeks of life than the other two were? They say that's when they cry the most (actually, it peaks right around 6 weeks). After all, he did have it pretty good in the first 9 months of his life... But hopefully you'll get some answers after that test next week.
ReplyDeleteHis diaper rash could also have been caused by you eating something acidic (like tomatoes). I remember Izabel having her first early on too after I had some pasta with tomatoe sauce.
How come I didn't think of turning on the tv on those sleepless nights?? I sure could have used the distraction. Oh well, next time :)
Olivia was a very fussy baby for her first three months. She didn't like any changes, going anywhere, or doing anything out of her normal routine. I was astonished to see one day her all calm and happy after my sister-in-law completely stripped her down. So sometimes when I couldn't calm her down I would strip her down to her diaper, and if it was cold just lay a very soft blanket over her. She was always a very hot and sweaty baby and I think part of her crankiness was that she was uncomfortable. Or maybe she was sensitive to textures. Either way, she grew out of it around 3 months... you're halfway there!
ReplyDelete