Wednesday, September 16, 2009

This and That

Mom left this morning :( It was so awesome having her here. She supported me, mothered me, helped in so many practical ways, loved on the kids, and never failed to remind me to take the points for the jack in cribbage. I so appreciated her taking three weeks out of her life to be here for Joshua's arrival!

Today was the first day of my new reality- and Eva had the day off school. It was both a wonderful and a difficult day. After we walked out to wave as Nana's airplane passed overhead, the kids played together beautifully most of the morning, and Josh slept for hours in the sling. I got a bunch of things done, including my first sink of dishes in weeks and it was very low key and enjoyable. Quiet Time had a rocky start, with Micah wandering all over and Eva sobbing because she wanted presents RIGHT NOW. But then it took a sudden turn to peaceful, and I found myself in a remarkable situation: all three kids were sleeping!! I did a bit of reading and then realized that I should be sleeping too. So I got a few zzz's. Sweet. The pendulum swung back the other way once everyone was up. Micah and I had a huge battle of wills about him removing his stinky peed-in Superman jammies. (I won in the end) Eva continued to grump about presents and anything else she could think of. Joshua got fussy. Suppertime and after went well. We planned a new, more strictly structured bedtime routine. It all went well until the part where they were supposed to go to sleep. Eva had a huge accident. Micah had a gigantic meltdown. It's almost 10 and Eva is still awake. When will I learn not to let her nap during the day??

We're going to stick to this new routine for a full week whether it seems to be working or not. I am hoping they will come around. I am SO TIRED of fighting both kids to sleep every night. It is time consuming and exhausting.

In other news, it is incredibly dry here. We had a couple of weird weeks where it was raining almost every day and so humid that everything smelled and felt damp. I thought to myself, I'm glad I live in a dry climate because I don't like this. But now that the relative humidity is zero and my lips are cracked and bleeding and I've drunk 2 litres of water since suppertime... well, I'm not so fond of either option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!