A ten minute ABC News Special Report called How To Get Fat Without Really Trying. Peter Jennings talks about the role of government in the obesity epidemic in the United States. I don't care for the way they blame government, because ultimately each individual is responsible for what he or she eats. However it is true that an alarming proportion of the items available on grocery store shelves have very little nutritional value, if any. Lots of "food for thought"* regarding subsidies, lobbying, and the ingredients of foods that have become staples in many homes.
*pun fully intended ;)
-
wow - that was so interesting. i even got my kids to watch it. i will show it to james, who is [wrongly] convinced that that in order to reduce his expanding midline he will just "exercise more". i love stuff like this - any other links would be appreciated!
ReplyDeleteInteresting that I am learning the opposite lesson- just eating right isn't good enough. I no longer push a stroller around, and the toddler-speed amble isn't exactly toning me out.
ReplyDelete