Friday, July 4, 2008

Interesting Raw Milk Report

An NPR video about Raw Milk.

1 comment:

  1. I think like this article best of anything I've read regarding raw milk. It seems the most pragmatic (and least hysterical) article I've come across, and had some interesting points.
    Many of the health benefits you've mentioned before can be gained from simply switching to organic milk, but this article points out that pasturization kills the live cell benefits in cow's milk (much the same as with breastmilk), reducing our positive benefits from the milk itself.
    This went a long way in changing my view of the potential in raw milk, since I know so much about the components and benefits of breastmilk and all I had to do and had not yet done with the raw milk debate was transfer that to cow's milk and see how much really IS lost when we heat up cow's milk.
    I like the acknowledgment of bacterial pathogenic potential in raw milk as well, since many pro-raw articles seem to ignore or play down the seriousness of illnesses that can be caused by pathogens in milk. If some of us are thinking of going raw, it's important to know exactly what we're doing so we can make informed choices.
    Just like with immunizations, if we know the diseases vax are trying to defend against, and the risks of vax/no vax, we're in a better position to make informed choices. Reliable information is everything!

    All of the allergy reduction stuff makes perfect sense, given what we know of human milk.

    I also like the emphasis on absolutely imperative changes in milk farming practices. We've gone too big, too mass produced, too lax with safety, cleanliness, and cow health...

    Good article! Thanks for sharing!

    meliss

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!