Tuesday, April 21, 2009

More on CFLs

I have been thinking more about CFLs. About how most workplaces and some homes have fluorescent tube lighting, about how many households have a mercury thermometre of some type. About how I am currently (unsuccessfully) looking for a simple mercury thermometre to hang outside.

I think that education is the key here. And lack of same is what upsets me the most about the CFL thing. There is such a huge campaign going on about replacing all of our standard lightbulbs with CFLs, but such a dearth of education about the health risks (minimal or otherwise), safe cleanup in the event of breakage, and safe disposal.

It really bothers me that many of us (me included) are treating or would treat these bulbs the same as any other, when we really shouldn't. There are many household items which carry risk and dangers, but we are informed when we buy and use them and prepared to take the appropriate steps. Batteries, for instance. We understand that they can burn us if they leak, and that we should send them to an appropriate collection/recycling facility rather than putting them in the garbage once we are done with them.

Do I and will I use CFLs? I currently have a CFL installed in our front outdoor fixture. It recently burnt out and I had Andrew change it. I felt terrible but we threw the burnt out bulb in the garbage because as far as I know there are no special disposal/recycling programs in this city. We also have CFLs in a living room lamp that gets a lot of use.

I probably won't buy any more for indoor use for some time, because we have small children and I am pregnant. Once the kids are old enough to understand what to do in the event of breakage (and we live in a home where CFLs fit in more fixtures!) I would probably use them, with care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!