Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Joshua

In the past 2+ weeks I have learned the following things about Joshua:

- He has extremely sensitive skin. He breaks out in a nasty heat rash if he gets really ticked off.
- It doesn't take much to tick him off.
- He doesn't like laying flat on his back. Therefore diaper changes generally involve crying.
- The sling, wrap and swaddling calm and soothe him. Especially when combined with bouncing. So glad we have an exercise ball.
- He sleeps long stretches, both during the day and at night. Some nights he needs some bouncing in the middle of the night, but often he just wakes to nurse and goes right back to sleep. Appreciating this (but not counting on it to continue, lest I be crushed with disappointment).
- He has a the makings of a killer smile! It's not gas, I'm telling you, I have seen this kid smile. Sometimes just a hint, sometimes just one corner, but definitely a smile. Can't wait to see the full blown version.
- He is a mover and a shaker. When he was only a week old and we tried to pose him for a photo, he was doing crawling motions with his legs and actually getting some traction! The other day I had him on my chest and he worked himself over so he was laying beside me.
- His hair is curly. He's got a little curled up minimullet, so cute.

It seems that if I can keep him in a sling or wrap, I will keep him happy. And therefore I will be relaxed and happy. This is not a kid I can just put down somewhere and who will just lay there and coo. So far he has been pretty high needs. That said, I have so many more tools to help both of us get what we want/need, and I have experience on my side. Now I know that these times don't last forever. Now I know to work with it rather than bang my head against the wall. He needs to be carried? Ok, I'll carry him and not begrudge him for it. Whatever works for him, works for me.

4 comments:

  1. It does feel good having some experience, although each kid is so different! As for him needing to be carried, I felt the exact same way. If Koen was happy and slept well while I carried him, then I would do it because you're right, it doesn't last forever! Hope the nights continue to go well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Izabel also had skin like that. She'd always have a heat rash after napping in the sling because she tucked her face in. Her skin is still sensitive. She also had to be held and carried for a loooong time. But now she's very cuddly which I love :) I think you're great at making Joshua happy and content. Regarding laying on his back, have you tried elevating him by the head so he's on a slope? He might have some reflux if it's bothering him. Just and idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Today has been particularly challenging (bouncing and nursing are the only things that make Josh happy today so it's been tricky to keep the big kids and myself happy) so I appreciate the encouragement. I'd be counting the hours til Andrew gets home, if I knew what time he'd be home! Fridays are always a crap shoot.

    Joshua sleeps on his side when with me in the bed, and naps either in the sling/wrap or in the Amby, which has some head elevation. The only time he's flat on his back is during diaper changes... and he is getting a little more tolerant.

    Rita, do I have your correct email address? I sent you a note a couple of days ago...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gearing up to send you a response :) Seems like Izabel is finally asleep so I'll get started now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!