Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cloth Diapering Update

The cloth diapering is going really well. I am actually finding it kind of fun. It's probably a good thing that it's logistically challenging to add to my stash, otherwise I'd have already spent a fortune trying the different options out there. :)

Andrew is on board. Five years ago when changing a disposable felt like an ordeal, he probably would have been less than happy about the fiddlyness of prefolds and snappis, but as a third time dad, he's cool with it. It would be easier for him if I'd stuck to one system since each type has its peculiarity to learn (such as fastening laundry tabs and not putting wool covers in with the rest) but he holds his own and doesn't complain.

Since my original purchases, I have added some Fuzzi Buns pocket diapers and a Bummis Super Brite Wrap cover.

I am very satisfied with the Super Whisper Wrap covers, but I wanted to see whether I like the Super Brites even more. (Not sure yet, as I bought a medium and it's still a little big even though that style is supposed to fit small.)

Joshua is such a slim baby that he may be using the infant prefolds/fitteds and small covers for some time yet, but I have been thinking ahead to medium size, which will likely take him through until he's out of diapers altogether. I have two Stacinator products on order: a fleece cover and a stretch wool cover. Got good deals on both. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I think there is really no "one best" cloth diapering system. It depends on a number of factors: baby's shape, baby's elimination patterns, lifestyle, and just plain personal preference.

That said, probably good quality prefolds and a bunch of Bummis covers would do the trick for most. It is economical, both the diapers and covers dry quickly, and together (in my experience) they do a pretty good job containing wetness and mess.

Joshua is a frequent pooper, and we still haven't mastered the Perfect Messproof Diaper Fold, so it often gets on the cover. If he's wearing a wool cover, this is annoying because then I have to hand wash it. Which, admittedly, really isn't all that much work. But since I only have a couple of wool covers, it annoys me. I also have only a few Bummis covers, so this is also annoying. But if I had enough Bummis covers that I didn't feel like I were rationing them, it would be no big deal. So, to this end, even though he will probably only be in smalls for another couple of months, I bought another size small Bummis Super Whisper Wrap.


The Kissaluvs fitted diapers do a great job of keeping the mess off the cover, but I only have a half dozen of them so they are used up long before it's time to wash diapers. They are quite absorbant, but in kind of a different way than the prefolds, so that I feel like Joshua's skin gets more soggy from being exposed to them. So I won't be buying more of them in the next size.

I have three brands of pocket diapers. This type of diaper is quite nice, and all the rage in the cloth diapering community. They dry quickly, absorbency and fit are customizable, the fleece lining keeps the baby feeling dry (important overnight), and if they are pre-stuffed, they are as easy to put on the baby as a disposable. This last feature is great for dads, grandparents, and sitters.

All three kinds of pocket diapers I purchased are "one-size". This means that they will fit most babies right from newborn through to toilet training. They are somewhat bulky on a newborn, but I think it's a small price to pay for the versatility. I use pocket diapers for night time and for outings.

The Baby Kangas diaper is unfortunately pretty useless on our skinny legged baby at this point because there's only one row of fastening snaps. Either they gape at the legs or they pinch around the middle. We may be able to use this once he gets older, but for now it's out of circulation. The poor design probably explains why I got it on sale.


Fuzzi Buns is one of the most popular pocket diapers on the market. They have a unique buttonhole elastic adjustment system which I like much better than the front snaps. The fleece inside is luxuriously soft and feels dry through heavy wettings. The colours are yummy and the diaper feels well made. I like it that they come with two sizes of inserts. I own two FB diapers, and have two more on order.



A Winnipeg company, AMP Diapers, makes really nice diapers. I have one and another on order. The outer layer of fabric is nice and light which makes it less bulky, though one reviewer wondered how well it would wear over time. The fleece on the inside is not as plush as Fuzzi Buns, but then the lighter weight fabric would reduce bulk as well. I particularly like the gentle, well-fitting leg elastics.

The jury is still a bit out on the wool covers. I don't love them as much as some do, but they do have their place, in particular when baby has diaper rash. The extra circulation wool affords helps clear it up quickly. Provided they don't get soiled, wool covers are great for traveling since they don't get stinky like the PUL covers do. On the other hand if you do have to hand wash a cover or two, the PUL covers dry much more quickly.

Now, this could just be Joshua's elimination style, but I am going to postulate that cloth diapers contain blowouts better than disposables. I recall not-infrequent poonami occurrences with Eva and Micah. With Joshua we've only had a couple, and evidence points strongly to operator error versus equipment malfunction.

My advice to parents considering cloth diapering? Try a variety before committing to one system. If you're going to go with prefolds or fitteds, don't skimp on covers. It really stinks to run out of covers. Four months (approx how long most babies are in size small) may not seem so long, but in the days of 12 or more changes per day and all the adjustments that come along with having a new baby, the last thing you want to worry about is emergency cover washing.

If you have or have had a child in diapers: what system did you choose and why? What did you like and dislike about your choice?

6 comments:

  1. I DON'T LIKE my super brites--they are more plasticky and less breathable, hence often wet on the inside and have to be washed more often. Also, the gussets get soaked more easily, turning yellow and wet and smelling like pee.
    I'm an all around big fan of the bummis whisper wrap. Nothing else has ever kept me as happy as those.
    :)

    I was going to ask for a diaper update! Glad things are going well!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and the poonami containment is hands down better with cloth diapers. Hands. Down. IME. Doesn't matter what kind of disposable diaper I have used, they all facilitate blowouts and I think people just don't KNOW that cloth is better for this!

    I'm with you on having lots of covers. I'm all about having lots of diapers, period.

    I've tried prefolds, flannel, terrycloth, and fleece/terry combo. I have never used pocket diapers. I tried all in ones that were not pocket diapers and found they got stinky pretty fast, in a deep-in-the-diaper way that couldn't be washed out.
    My favourite combo is the fleece/terry diaper with snaps, combined with a whisper wrap. If I didn't have a diaper service now, I would have gone with fuzzibunz or another pocket diaper with fleece. If we have another baby and we live elsewhere, that is what I will go for. And I will buy lots. And lots. And lots.
    :)

    Something I have found, too, is that different diaper styles work better/worse at different baby stages/ages.

    And some days, I take the day off of cloth diapers, though with a service it is no less work and may facilitate pooplosions, so I am less inclined to take breaks this time around.

    Also, at a certain age I always find overnights to be too much for any cloth diaper, and rather than bath my kids in the morning I opt to go for a disposable at night. Riley holds his pee all night so I may not have to do this with him, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrey prefers the Baby Kangas. Size large.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He can have it. We're not using it. And maybe I should pick up 5 more for our next Nerdfest. They are on sale, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to skim this post and the comments because I feel like you and Mel are speaking a foreign language. gussets and prefolds... what the heck? perhaps i'll have to refer to this post later. i'm sure your research is quite helpful to those deciding on which brand to try. I had no idea there were so many options out there! i wonder if I'll be able to get any out here... oh man will people think i'm weird. i've never seen a child in a cloth diaper here. it's kind of like when i bring my cloth bags to the grocery store. I always get strange looks and embarrassed giggles from the bagger not knowing exactly what to do with the bags I place in front of him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, your housekeeper's going to shit bricks if you ask her to wash diapers! :p

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!