Thursday, July 23, 2009

Diaper Mania!

With the exception of lanolizing my wool covers and giving a quick wash to my used diapers, I'm pretty much ready to go in the diaper department! Here is a sample of my stash:

Now for the details:

The two main types of diapers I will be using. Both must have covers over them. The one on the top is called a Fitted diaper. This type has elastic around the legs and either snaps or velcro to secure it at the waist. This particular brand is Kissaluvs. They come in all sorts of pretty colours too but I went with the unbleached variety. I got 5 cotton and one hemp, so I could see what the difference is. Apparently these are quite a good fit on newborns and do a good job of containing runny newborn poop. They are also relatively expensive; that's why I only bought 6. A newborn baby will go through something like 12 diapers a day! The used diapers I have (thanks again Louise and Melissa!) are also the fitted variety.

The remainder of my diaper stash are Prefolds. Similar to what my Mom used on me- but different! These ones have a number of layers in the middle, and are made of a somewhat more absorbent cotton, from what I understand. They can be folded and laid into a cover, which holds it in place. Or they can first be secured with a Snappi (see below), then covered. When I got them they were kind of smooth and they were bigger. Now that they've been prewashed they have shrunk to newborn size and are nice and quilty.


I got a variety of cover types so I could see what I like. I will need to buy the next size of covers when baby is about 4 months old. Clockwise from bottom: Bummis Whisper Wrap. This is a super popular cover because it is relatively economical and works well. Micah had some Bummis training pants so I believe that they work great because those training pants were great. However I noticed that Micah got kind of sweaty under his training pants and there will still be two or three hot months after baby is born so I wanted to try some other alternatives. AMP Duo. This one is actually a pocket diaper (where you prestuff a pocket with an absorbent layer then use it much like a disposible- but without disposing of course) but can also be used as a diaper cover. It is also one-size and should fit from newborn through potty training. It got very good reviews online so I'm curious to see how I like it. It is a Winnipeg company so I was glad to support them as well. BerryPlush Cover. Isn't this the cutest thing? And the minky material is sooo soft. This can be used as a cover as well, or an absorbent liner can be snapped or laid inside. This cover was pure indulgence. Aristocrats Merino Wool Cover. Wool is supposed to be a great material diaper covers: breathable, antibacterial, and doesn't need to be washed often unless soiled. This is supposed to fit 7-20 lbs but it seems big for a newborn! The good news is it might even last us to potty training. Jamtots Sugarpeas Wool Flannel Cover. A different type of wool cover, to see what I like. I also picked up some wool and plan to crochet a merino wool diaper cover. You might remember my prototype.

Infant Potty Bowl: A good size and shape for holding between the knees while baby is eliminating. I hope to do a fair bit of EC. Click here to see my post on that topic. Snappis diaper fastener. Goodbye diaper pins! These stretchy wonders have little teeth that hold it, and the prefold diaper, in place. Wool changing pad. Again planning to take advantage of the wonders of wool, I plan to mostly use this under baby at nighttime. If there are any leaks, then I won't have to change my bed linens! And if it's just urine, I don't even have to wash the pad right away because the urine will just evaporate.

Snappis in action.

1 comment:

  1. That diaper fastener is an amazing invention! I had no idea they had those!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!