Friday, May 8, 2009

The Latest Crochet Project

I merged my current obsessions and tried crocheting a wool diaper cover. I knew I'd make some mistakes first time around so I first made one using some old wool I had. Which made for an outcome which, I am first to admit, is not aesthetically pleasing. Additionally, the wool is much heavier than the wool I bought for the real thing...


... which means that even though I followed the pattern for the size small, the final product is HUGE. Micah was kind enough to model to give perspective.



I am so glad I made these first. I learned a lot! I am interested to see how my next pair turn out and if they will actually fit a real baby. I'm not holding my breath that they will work overly well, since the closest I could come to 100% wool yarn was a 50/50 blend with acrylic. I'm pretty sure that acrylic doesn't have the amazing properties of wool which make it such a great diaper cover material.

Wool diaper covers are highly absorbent and can hold up to 30% of their weight in liquids without feeling damp, are breathable and can help prevent diaper rash. Another advantage of wool is that it has antibacterial properties and is easy to care for.

1 comment:

  1. I think its so awesome that you plan on making a diaper cover, you are quite the crocheting expert! Glad you had a practice run first...at least it looks like Micah is enjoying it:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!