Monday, May 25, 2009

Bursting with Pride

We had year-end parent teacher conferences today and I almost wept. I knew that it was going pretty well but their report indicated far more progress than I had expected!!

Eva has opened up beautifully at school. She is relaxed, interested, curious, and much more assertive. She has become much more patient. She understands a lot of Spanish, and asks someone if she isn't sure. She interacts with her classmates in a combination of English and Spanish. She accepts invitations to work and play together (though she hasn't quite made it to the point where she does the inviting). A really big milestone happened last week. The children take turns bringing snack for the whole class about once a month. The child who has brought the snack is in charge of leading the prayer. Up until now she has declined when it is her turn. Last week, she insisted, and did beautifully. They said the look on her face afterward was almost one of shock and disbelief that she had overcome her trepidation and really done it! Yay Eva!!

They told us she is very intelligent. She concentrates very well and her work is neat and detailed. They were particularly impressed by her drawing of the road to Mazatlan. She has an excellent memory. She is very observant as well, and often already has a good idea of how to use materials she hasn't worked with before, because she has observed other children using them. She is moving along well in math- adding, subtracting and dividing. She is keen to work on writing.

She is struggling a little with differentiating the phonics sounds of English vs Spanish letters. Not surprising.

I asked them for suggestions about how to manage a situation like the one that happened at the Day of the Child event. Eva refused to participate in any of the activities. They suggested respecting her desire to not participate, but not letting that stop us from participating and enjoying. In other words, give her the time and space to find her comfort zone, but don't give her the power to control our activities. I thought that was good advice.

Have I mentioned how much I love this school??? Her teachers obviously care about her. They care about her emotional health and development just as much as her academic development. They respect her individuality, enjoy her, and celebrate her successes. They support her in her struggles. They set boundaries. They challenge her. They provide a safe environment where she can find her own way and achieve at her own pace. They build relationships with the whole family and see themselves as partners with us. They are kind and gentle and loving. These observations are not limited to Eva's teachers. Every member of staff and administration has exhibited these qualities. I think we've stumbled upon a very special place and I am so grateful and blessed.

Micah stayed home with Bertha while we went to the school. He was very excited when she got here, but got very sad and spent a large portion of the time we were gone crying and then watching for me out the front window. Finally, he consented to have some cantaloupe and then asked to watch tv. I guess having a babysitter is more fun when your big sister is there too.

1 comment:

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!