Thursday, July 3, 2008

Duna Hospitalized

The last couple of days Duna hasn't looked like she's feeling so great. Today she had a couple of accidents. So I thought I'd drop by the vet's office with her so he could take a look at her. He agreed she wasn't looking so well and wanted to do blood tests to understand what was going on. They showed that she is severely anemic, her kidneys aren't functioning so well, and her liver is barely working. He was frankly surprised she was even walking around. He recommended she stay overnight at the clinic for intravenous fluids. I was a little reluctant to leave her, but after discussing it I agreed with him. The vet told me he will be doing rounds every couple of hours during the night and that he would call me if there is any major change for the worse.

I just talked to him and she is doing well. Eyes a little brighter, and resting comfortably.

Duna is such a trooper. Just yesterday she brought me a toy for me to throw for her.

I was so grateful to our vet for taking a full hour to check her, discuss with me, work around increasingly restless small children, run blood tests on the spot, clip Duna's nails and brush her out while we waited for results. He has given us very good care and bedside manner and I so appreciate it.

I guess tomorrow we'll discuss further what comes next. But it sounds like this is it. I am very sad for Duna, that she is enduring this illness. But I am relieved that these obvious signs are coming today, and not the day before we leave or two weeks after we leave. I pray that we will have a chance to spend some quality time together, and then ideally that she would die peacefully in her sleep. But if it has to be through my decision I pray for her peace and mine with it.

2 comments:

  1. xoxox
    Tough times. Praying for you! Hugs for Duna. Reduction in kidney function is a pretty sure sign in humans, too.
    Love you.

    Meliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, in my email reply I mentioned antibx but here I re read and see they are not listed in your vet's treatment...sorry, I don't know where I got that idea! But the IV fluids are for encouragement of kidney function improvement, and to avoid infection as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!