Monday, September 1, 2008

Cattle-fed Cattle


There is so much astonishing information in this next chapter of "The Omnivore's Dilemma" that I have to share again already (sorry to those who prefer more entertaining entries). Are you aware that many beef cattle are being fed not only copious amounts of corn, but also beef tallow? That is to say, ruminant herbivores are eating the fat of their own kind.

The economic logic behind corn is unassailable, and on a factory farm there is no other kind. Calories are calories, and corn is the cheapest, most convenient source of calories on the market. Of course, it was the same industrial logic- protein is protein- that made feeding rendered cow parts back to cows seem like a sensible thing to do, until scientists figured out that this practice was spreading bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), more commonly known as mad cow disease. Rendered bovine meat and bone meal represented the cheapest, most convenient way of satisfying a cow's protein requirement (never mind these animals were herbivores by evolution) and so appeared on the daily menus of Poky and most other feedyards until the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned the practice in 1997.

[...]

Though the industrial logic that made feeding cattle to cattle seem like a good idea has been thrown into doubt by mad cow disease, I was surprised to learn it hadn't been discarded. The FDA ban on feeding ruminant protein to ruminants makes an exception for blood products and fat; my steer will probably dine on beef tallow recycled from the very slaughterhouse he's heading in June.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I knew cattle are fed beef renderings...and not just tallow...very disgusting and a recipe for all kinds of disasters, if you ask me (and, I believe, a huge cause of the spread of mad cow disease?? I could be wrong there, but I thought so...)
    Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say "I had believed a huge cause of the spread of mad cow disease?? I thought so..."
    Baby brain is making my comments garbled.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!