Friday, April 24, 2009

Why Micah Likes to Sleep With Us

Micah has become a pretty good sleeper... sort of. It's conditional upon one of us being within arm's reach. Or closer.

If he were to spend the entire night with one or both of us, he would not wake up until morning. But because he starts in his own bed- after falling asleep clutching the arm or finger of one of us- he is usually up by about midnight looking that missing arm or finger. When we lay down beside him, he falls asleep again quickly. If we go back to our own bed after that, he is up within a couple of hours looking for one of us again. Then, unless we're feeling particularly motivated (and this is rare at 2am) either he ends up in our bed or one of us ends up in his. This isn't a huge problem, especially now that he has a comfortable bed and compared to our earlier sleep issues. It wouldn't really be a problem at all, except that it's not safe to co-sleep with a both a baby and a toddler, so we are trying to work him into sleeping alone in his own bed before Wee3 arrives.

We tried having Micah and Eva share a queen sized bed, but Micah turned himself sideways and pushed her right off the edge. Not a workable solution.

I asked Micah why he likes to sleep in our bed. He said, and I quote, "Because it's cozy and warm and tickley." Hard to argue with that.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like things have gotten a little better! WHen you explain that when the baby comes, its very important that Micah is in his own bed in his own room, does he agree and understand? Does he refuse? I know that with Kai, when we give him a one month `warning' of an impending change with many explanations and reasons, then a few weeks, few days etc then he adapts well to it. We've never had to do a transition of him sleeping with us to sleeping on his own but with most other things, I find he is at an age where they really do understand. Could he think of ways to make his bed `cozy, warm and tickely'? I think our next big thing may be him having to stop sucking his thumb...his front teeth are being pushed forward. We'll have to see what the dentist says:) HOpe you guys have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent suggestions! Things are definitely way better. Andrew and I take turns getting up with him, so every second night I get to sleep through!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!