I am on fire for my food processor! I finally found some shelled peanuts that don't have hydrogenated oils so I bought them to make peanut butter. Dumped the whole can in the food processor and in seconds it was ready to go. This batch is not as chunky as the previous one, but is a similar flaky texture, despite the oils in the peanuts and used in the roasting process, and the honey I added in the food processor. This is acceptable to me- because it was so fast and easy! But I do wonder why the natural peanut butter I've purchased in Canada was so different? One kind was nice and creamy and the other was super sticky. Mine is almost dry. Interesting. Maybe next time I'll add a litte olive oil to make it creamier.Another food item I am thinking of making at home is yogurt. Of course we'll still have to buy the milk so at the end of the day I'm not sure just how much more 'natural' and less expensive it would actually be. We've made a step in the right direction already though. Andrew and the kids used to drink expensive strawberry Danone yogurt every morning. I worry about all the sugar and the colour it contains. Now I am buying plain yogurt and blending it up with a banana and some frozen fruit. Delicious, and no artificial colours!
great idea about the yogurt. could you use peanut oil with your ground peanuts? (from the US, of course...)
ReplyDeleteThat's the thing- no peanut oil available here and we don't make shopping trips to the US.
ReplyDelete