Friday, March 7, 2008

Sugar Experiment Update

Oh, I am serious about this experiment. I passed on a delicious looking cake at the Circle of Friends meeting yesterday. And of course on the decadent chocolate cake, the brownies, and chocolate chip cookies (no exceptions this time, Mona).

Some observations about the effects of this experiment on my life:

- This diet is too extreme to be sustainable in the long term- unless I lock myself in the house or move to a community where everyone eats this way. Missing out on enjoying tasty food with others stinks! It is so socially satisfying to enjoy good food together with friends.

- It is extremely challenging to find packaged food, such as crackers or cereal, that is transfat free, low or void of sugar, and doesn't taste like birdfeed. Especially in Mexico where the selection is much more limited than north of the border.

- This challenge forces growth and that is good! It is interesting to try new recipes and to search for alternatives to staples in our diet.

- I am hungry! If I snack after supper, it's an apple and maybe some carrot sticks. I have been going to bed hungry and waking up ravenous! There is no more filler in my diet and so I'll need to figure out how to replace the junk calories with real calories. I've lost a pound or two and that's fine but I'm not doing this to lose weight but rather to improve the quality of my family's diet and therefore our health.

- I thought I might feel more energetic, but so far, no noticable change. The two dust storms this week (another one last night- right after the cleaning lady was here, gahhh) might have something to do with it. I'm sure the body has to work a little harder to process all the junk in the air. Andrew is suffering right now.

- I still have the occasional craving for sweets, but now it is just in my head, not in my body.

2 comments:

  1. You need protein in that evening snack, if you want to be less hungry! Nuts (your peanut butter?), cheese, milk, yogurt, sunflower seeds, or a slice of sandwich meat or something will keep you full for longer. Or an egg. Hard boiled eggs in the fridge make for easy snacks, if you like eggs. Protein plus a fruit or vegetable is the best way to feel full now + stay full for longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. just like mel said. she's right. i was going to leave a similar comment but mel has already done it. fiber is also good for feeling full.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!