Saturday, April 26, 2008

Blanket Time

We have a new thing around here. I picked up the idea from a web site called Premeditated Parenting. While I'm doing the breakfast dishes I put out a blanket and some toys. The kids are to stay on the blanket and play (without fighting or crying ideally) until I am done the dishes.

Eva does really well in general and actually seems to welcome Blanket Time. Micah understands the concept but is still working on his discipline. Some days are better than others.

Blanket time gives me a chance to encourage Eva. I can point out how disciplined she is when she quietly plays on the blanket even as Micah is dashing giggling into the living room and I'm chasing him with soapy hands. I can also point out what a good example she is to her brother.

The goal is to get so good at Blanket Time that we can take the blanket along to something like a doctor's appointment or a meeting. Behaviour problems stopped in their tracks! I think the idea has merit. So we'll keep working at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!