Today I made shrimp stir fry for supper. Yummy, easy, and enjoyed by all! Which earns it a spot on the regular rotation. I pull a lot of recipes off the net by googling some key ingredients along with the word "recipe". Today I made my own variation of this Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe. This is more or less the way I did it for those of you who are interested:
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a wok or deep frying pan. Hot but careful cuz olive oil spits if it gets too hot.
Sautee a tsp or two of minced garlic (I'm very liberal with garlic), a handful of roughly chopped onions (so the kids can easily pick them out), and handful of chopped celery for a minute or two.
Add a handful of broccoli florettes, handful of quartered zuccinni slices, handful of roughly chopped green pepper, and a cup or two of frozen cocktail shrimp. Stir over med-high heat for a couple of minutes.
Add 1/4-1/2 cup of chicken broth (I found some pre-made chicken broth in a cardboard tetra-type package, with no msg, whoohoo!) and a couple of tsp of minced fresh ginger. Stir until the veggies are done to perfection. For me this means nice bright green broccoli. I like my veggies tender but to still have some crunch. We're talking maximum 5 minutes cooking.
Stir in 1/4 cup soy sauce which has been mixed together with a tbsp of corn starch. Stir for a minute or two until sauce is thickened.
Serve over rice.
The beauty of the stir fry apart from its relative speediness, in my opinion, is that you can just go with your tastes and your gut. Throw in whatever veggies and proteins you have at hand. What really excited me about today's meal was the sauce. Best one yet, and I've been experimenting with 'from scratch' stir fry sauces for some time.
-
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!