Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hydrogenation

I received my new cookbook, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, and I can't put it down. I'm fascinated by the information, and it rings true to me. I'd like to share some exerpts from time to time. Today's exerpt is about hydrogenation. If you haven't already switched back to butter, it might make you think twice about margarine:

Hydrogenation

This is the process that turns polyunsaturates, normally liquid at room temperature, into fats that are solid at room temperature- margarine and shortening. To produce them, manufacturers begin with the cheapest oils- soy, corn, cottonseed or canola, already rancid from the extraction process- and mix them with tiny metal particles- usually nickel oxide. The oili with its nickel catalyst is then subjected to hydrogen gas in a high-pressure, high-temperature reactor. Next, soap-like emulsifiers and starch are squeezed into the mixture to give it a better consistency; the oil is yet again subjected to high temperatures when it is steam-cleaned. This removes its unpleasant odor. Margarine's natural color, an unappetizing grey, is removed by bleach. Dyes and strong flavors must then be added to make it resemble butter. Finally, the mixture is compressed and packaged in blocks or tubs and sold as a health food.

She goes on to talk about the trans fats component and its dangers. I'm sure this is nothing new to you since trans fats have been in the news a lot lately. The section ends with the following:

Altered partially hydrogenated fats made from vegetable oils actually block utilization of essential fatty acids, causing many deleterious effects including sexual dysfunction, increased blood cholesterol and paralysis of the immune system. Consumption of hydrogenated fats is associated with a host of other serious diseases, not only cancer but also atherosclerosis, diabetes, obesity, immune system dysfunction, low-birth-weight babies, birth defects, decreased visual acuity, sterility, difficulty in lactation and problems with bones and tendons. Yet hydrogenated fats continue to be promoted as health foods. The popularity of margarine and shortening over butter represents a triumph of advertising duplicity over common sense. Your best defense is to avoid them like the plague.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! It always seemed to me FAR more sensible to eat a product that came from cow's milk than to eat a product that LOOKED like butter but was made from mysterious synthetic stuff. I think it was developed during the first world war when there was a shortage/distribution problem for milk products like butter. Too bad it stuck around, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By thanks I meant thanks for the new info regarding where margarine comes from! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!