Monday, May 5, 2008

International Midwives Day

Today is International Midwives Day. Join me in celebrating these important women!

I had midwifery care for the births of both my children. I am so grateful for the excellent, compassionate, continuous, family-centred care we received. I loved the long, unrushed visits we had throughout my pregnancy. I felt free to discuss any and all of my concerns. My midwife answered all my questions thoroughly and thoughtfully. I was able to make informed choices about everything to do with my pregnancy and birth, including all tests and procedures. My midwife was in the room with us throughout active labour and of course during delivery. She stayed with us afterward for a time. She provided breastfeeding support. She visited us at home the next day, and every couple of days for the first weeks. And she let my daughter use her stethoscope.



It is my firm belief that midwives should be the primary caregivers for all uncomplicated pregnancies. It makes such sense for the woman and her family to take advantage of the continuous and complete care offered in the midwifery model. This model also makes economic sense. Additionally, study after study has shown that outcomes for mom and baby are better. Obstetricians have an important role to play when mom and/or baby is threatened by medical condition or trauma, and their considerable skills and expertise are absolutely needed for these cases. But the midwifery model provides the best care for a straightforward, normal pregnancy and birth.

Midwives Model of Care™

The Midwives Model of Care™ is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life events. The Midwives Model of Care includes:

- monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- minimizing technological interventions and;
- identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention

The application of this model has been proven to reduce to incidence of birth injury, trauma, and cesarean section.

The Midwives Model of Care definition above is Copyright © 1996-2001, Midwifery Task Force, All Rights Reserved.


I'm so proud and excited for good friend Jen who is well on her way to becoming a midwife. Go girl go!

1 comment:

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!