Monday, May 26, 2008

The Question of School

I've been thinking a lot about school.

Eva and I found a wonderful Montessori school that we are both very excited about. She still asks me periodically when it will be time to start school. We visited twice and were very impressed with the facilities, the method, the philosphy, the materials, the director. Eva especially liked that everything in the room was "just the right size" for her. The director was so warm and welcoming and so open. She likes to work with the entire family, not just the student. They stress respect and building a self-confident child who loves to learn. She was so kind and gave us all the time we needed to look around, ask questions, and observe in the classroom.

All the children were quietly working while we were there. They were interested in Eva but obviously engrossed in their work. Students would periodically approach the "guides" (2 per multi-age classroom of 20-25 students) for, well, guidance. Each child would put away whatever he or she was working on before taking out a new activity. There was a feeling of peace and concentration in the room.

I know Eva will thrive in many ways in this environment. I do have a couple of concerns though. She will be going to school every day for five hours each day at barely four years old. That feels so long! And I want to protect her from potentially damaging forces and situations- grow her confidence and maturity under my wing before exposing her to things she would handle better if she were a little older.

The number one factor in the "Pro" column of this decision list is the language. If she goes to this school, she will be fluent in spanish before very long.

I think sometimes about homeschooling. There are some excellent curriculums out there and I think children can benefit enormously from being homeschooled. But it isn't for every family. Anyway these are things that I think about. I'm going to meet with the director at the Montessori school this week and talk to her a little more about my concerns.

Yesterday I asked Eva if she was still excited about going to school. She immediately replied YES! I reminded her that she would be there from just after when Daddy goes to work until after Rest Time. She said, "I'll be fine there without Mommy and Daddy!"

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I know it's a tough decision, but you know your daughter best so you'll do what's best for her. Even if you decide one way, you can always change your mind based on Eva's needs. If she decides after a few weeks of going that it's not for her, then you can stop!
    Homeschooling is a great option. It's awesome and there are many incredible benefits, not least of which is a more natural, gradual, attachment based introduction to the world
    There are many benefits to away from home schooling, as well. It truly takes a community to raise children, and school can be part of that community. I find that Matthew responds better to other adults than he does to me when it comes to 'brave' or 'autonomous' possibilities...and I (and actually Brent, and my parents, and my in laws) find Matthew a more challenging child to guide in life, so I welcome an opportunity to share the authority experience for a few hours a few days a week next year. Even with your kids away from you in school, you are still the heftiest influence in their lives, by far.
    I wonder if you could simply 'not go' two days per week? Three days would seem so much more reasonable for a four year old.
    Starting in January is def. an option to look at.
    What about kindergarten? What does that look like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments and encouragement!

    'Not going' two days a week isn't a great option. Assuming the school would even allow it, and most don't. She's already different because she'll likely be the only non-Mexican, non-spanish-speaking student in her class, and I wouldn't want her to be 'more different' by being the only part time attendee. That said, I don't think it would be as much of a social issue at this school as it would be in other schools. There are special needs kids in the classes, and they deliberately foster and atmosphere of respect and kindness at the school. I think that not having the same continuity the other students have would put her at somewhat of a disadvantage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and you asked about kindergarten. This school starts at age 3 and goes up to 6th grade. There are 4 classrooms for each age level. Eva will be in the 3-6 year old level. The next level is 6-9, and the oldest children are 9-12 years old.

    An American friend's son went to this school for 6th grade and it was an excellent experience for everyone. I'm glad to have such a glowing reference in addition to my own first-hand observations.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!