The Sugar Experiment is officially over in the sense that I am not quite so strict about avoiding every single source of refined sugar. However it lives on in what I hope is permanent change to my eating habits and attitudes. And hopefully those of my family as well! I am even less inclined to eat at fast food restaurants. I'm reading labels more than ever and will continue to actively search for alternatives and substitutes for refined sugar in my recipes and snacks. Yesterday I made the most delicious whole wheat pancakes yet, containing only a little bit of sugar, two mashed bananas, and frozen blueberries. We didn't even need syrup to enjoy them!
What it comes down to for me is the realization that refined sugar is not just nutrition-neutral. It is anti-nutritional! When we consume it, it actually uses up our nutritional stores. It is not food. Dictionary.com defines food as any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.
Some final notes:
- I was very surprised to find that my energy level seems to have dropped rather than improved. I really thought I'd feel better. Maybe it is withdrawal?
- My teeth feel so smooth!!
-
How was Micah's appointment?
ReplyDeleteit's true. it might be withdrawal. i would expect that as you continue to replace refined sugar with other more nutritious foods that your energy will go up.
ReplyDelete