Thursday, March 13, 2008

Today's Doctor Visit

A look at Micah's limp

Today's doctor visit went really well! I liked him a lot. The kids liked him a lot. I felt like he listened to me. I didn't feel rushed.

He examined Micah's leg (pants stayed on. No need to advocate today). He noticed the bruise and slight swelling on his shin, which I think may have come up only a couple of days ago but I am not positive isn't a result of his fall Sunday morning. Micah lay on the examining table quite relaxed as the doctor moved his various joints and poked and prodded for signs of pain. His diagnosis was that the shin was sore enough that Micah is compensating and therefore limping. He suggested anti-inflammatories. When I asked if we could do without the anti-inflammatories he was perfectly ok with that (which I liked a lot). Said that the observation period would be longer though. If Micah is still limping in 2 weeks then we will pursue further testing.

I asked whether it is possible it might be a fracture. He said that fractures are very painful. Since Micah is not showing signs of severe pain we can rule that out. He said also that most other disorders and deformities would have shown up from birth or at least since he started walking.

So I came away satisfied.

I also asked about fluoride. I was concerned that the kids might not be getting enough fluoride. They only drink bottled water and I'm not sure that it contains the stuff. I have been letting them swallow their children's toothpaste, which we apply in very small amounts. He said that it is ok but to limit that to one time per day. He also told me something very interesting. A Brita filter is all we need to drink our tap water. Who knew?! I will look into one of those Brita filters that you put right onto the end of the tap. Cool!

4 comments:

  1. just wondering what was decided about the flouride? For almost 6 years, I have been bringing flouride supplements from the US. Of course, there are naturopathic people who swear AGAINST flouride; I believe they think that using flourine is good, flouride is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wasn't very clear in my post. He said that there wasn't much fluoride in the bottled water, but that there is in the tap water. That is why he recommended using a Brita filter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Micah is okay! Some natural anti-inlammatories: Oranges, esp. in the pith (white stuff), Pineapple, water, lemons, and grape seed extract.
    Some 'natural' inflammatories: sugar, preservatives (esp MSG and sulphites), salt.
    Don't Britas filter out fluoride too? Not sure. We have a Brita. Like it a lot better than lugging around those 18 L jugs we used to have for our water cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some pineapple today.

    Did some very inconclusive research on Brita filters and the city water supply. Unclear whether the Brita filters actually will make the tap water safe for us to drink. Unclear whether it filters out fluoride, and whether there actually is fluoride in the tap water. So for the time being I'll keep letting the kids eat their toothpaste ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!