Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Joy of Breastfeeding

I have always been glad that I chose to breastfeed my children. When exclusively breastfed Eva was about five weeks old it really hit me that she was alive and growing because of what my body was producing for her. I was awestruck.

Eva was a year old when I went back to work part time. She drank formula when she wasn't with me but still breastfed when she was. I chose formula rather than cow's milk because I was worried about the hormones and other substances in commercial, non-organic cow's milk (I had trouble finding organic milk). In retrospect I think I would choose natural over artificial despite those risks.

Over the next five months Eva weaned gently and gradually via the "don't offer, don't refuse" method. Her requests declined until at seventeen months she stopped asking. She still drank lots of milk for the next year and a half, but transferred her need from me to the sippy cup. There was a stretch of about a year when I had to always have at least two servings of milk on hand when we were away from the house because it was a matter of urgency for her- when she needed milk, she needed milk!!

We moved to Mexico while I was pregnant with Micah so the situation is quite different. I don't work outside the home and I don't have a lot of need or opportunity to go out in the evenings. It has been a blessing for our breastfeeding relationship. There has been no need to give him any other milk but breastmilk. He is still breastfed on demand. At 19 months this means morning, naptime and bedtime. He occasionally asks in between but usually gets distracted before he really settles in to nurse.

The other night I realized that I really LOVE nursing Micah. When we settle in together, he lights up and giggles with giddy anticipation. It is a source of incredible joy for him. It is also a source of comfort and closeness. It's special quiet snuggling time together, just the two of us.

I will nurse him as long as he wants.

The benefits aren't limited to joy and comfort. Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC at Kellymom.com says that "...breastfeeding continues to be a valuable source of nutrition and disease protection for as long as breastfeeding continues". She summarizes as follows: Nursing toddlers benefit nutritionally, are sick less often, have fewer allergies, are smart, are well adjusted socially, nursing a toddler is normal, and
mothers also benefit from nursing past infancy

I read somewhere that you won't hear a woman say she regrets breastfeeding her child as long as she did, but you may hear a woman say she regrets stopping when she did.

2 comments:

  1. hi 5 babe! Breast is best AND it rocks! I'm with you 200%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Dana. Way to go... Ooh I really hope I get to experience breastfeeding one day! :) It absolutely is the best for so many reasons...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!