Friday, October 30, 2009

Cake Party

So I got pretty stressed about Eva's birthday cake. The last time I baked a cake was one year ago. Baking at high altitudes is challenging. And I can't eat wheat so I couldn't do any taste testing. Eva asked for a lemon cake so I found a layer cake recipe online and made it on Wednesday so if it was garbage I would still have a day to get one done. Things were going pretty well. I felt good about how it came together. I made a single cupcake so the kids could try and approve it. That cupcake just about did the project in! I tried to fit the muffin tin plus two 8" round pans on the same rack. And managed to push one pan right off the back of the rack!! NOOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!

I was able to salvage about 2/3 of that batter and that was good enough for me. The beauty of the layer cake and toppings is that it doesn't matter too much what the cake underneath looks like. It's all about the taste. And the kids gave it two thumbs up (I'm sure the two cups of sugar in the recipe had nothing to do with that, ha ha).

Here is the finished product.



And finally, our FIRST FAMILY-OF-FIVE PHOTO! (Hm, the cake looks rather lopsided now that I look at it. Maybe the cake underneath does matter a little. Ah, whatever. I wasn't going for perfection, just edibility.)

4 comments:

  1. Good job Dana! Better to try and fail than to not try at all...and you didn't fail:) It looks fantastic. So awesome to see all 5 of you together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, your cake looks terrific! Good job! What beautiful pictures of you all. Eva looks so grown-up and so absolutely delighted to be able to serve her classmates in front of her family-the people she loves so much. (The pics on the Photog blog tell such a beautiful story.) What a great support team Eva, the five year old has. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that your cake and Alice's cake (on her last blog entry) had a similar theme. Alot of celebrating going on! Happy Birthday Eva! I loved the description of the school party. What a rich way to honour the celebrant!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!