Saturday, January 31, 2009

Banana Bran Muffins

The dozen muffins I made last night were gone by morning, so I feel confident to say this is a yummy recipe! I wish it didn't have refined sugar, but at least it wasn't excessive. Some muffin recipes I found had a whole cup of sugar in them! I may reduce it to 1/4 cup because apparently you can reduce sugar in baking by 1/3 without affecting results.

Here it is:

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup natural bran
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsweetened plain yogurt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup mashed banana (2-3 bananas)
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (sour milk by adding 1tbsp vinegar to 1/2 cup milk)
2 tbsp molasses
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup (or so, I didn't measure) frozen blueberries note: put them in a dish to thaw while you're mixing up the batter. Otherwise you'll have to cook the muffins longer.

Mix yogurt, brown sugar and egg together. Stir in mashed banana, buttermilk and molasses. Add dry ingredients, raisins and blueberries and stir just until moistened. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full of batter. Bake 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.

1 comment:

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!