To complete my certification, I need to read a bunch of childbirth related books, write reviews on them, observe two attempts at natural childbirth, attend a series of four La Leche League meetings or a lactation class, attend a workshop and write an exam.
I flew through the books way back when I got them, but haven't gotten around to writing the reviews yet. I have no excuse.
When I entered the program, they were just changing over from an in-person workshop format to an online format. Since then, as far as I know, no workshops have been offered.
There are no lactation classes offered in this city, as far as I know.
My investigations showed that the La Leche League in the city was not currently meeting.
Natural births here are few and far between. Also, it's not until recently that I feel comfortable with the idea of running off and leaving the kids for an unknown period, on short notice.
So, I was feeling a little bit in limbo about my course requirements. And the two year deadline for completion is now looming (this spring).
All of the sudden things seem to be coming together! I got in contact with the only midwife working in Torreon, who also is the only person giving childbirth classes. She will be attending a waterbirth at the end of next month and is going to ask the mom if I can attend as well. I am very hopeful about that. She also told me that a La Leche group has started meeting! I attended my first meeting on Saturday and it was good! There was a mom there with a so-cute week old baby girl. There was another mom there who is still nursing her 4 year old and her 2 year old. Two very pregnant women. And a married girl who is thinking about starting a family, and wanted to find out more about breastfeeding. She brought along two unmarried friends. Finally, there was a supportive pediatrician in attendance as well.
Just earlier that morning I had been mulling over the fact that I had to somehow find at least two couples to teach my course to within one year of certification. Our expat group has shrunk considerably and I'm not sure anyone is planning a pregnancy. How would I manage that requirement? Would I have to somehow arrange to run a course during a visit home to Canada? Well, after the meeting one of the very pregnant ladies approached me and asked me anxiously when I'd be ready to give classes. She said she thought there would be a lot of demand for it, given that there is currently only one option in the area. I was blown over. I had not considered teaching in spanish. My spanish is good, but to teach in my second language? Makes me very nervous. So that was scary and encouraging all at the same time.
I definitely have to get on my reviews, but apart from that it's a bit of a waiting game now...
-
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!