Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dental Visit


Andrew took Micah to the dentist on Saturday. I had a meeting to attend which started a half hour before Micah's appointment so Andrew was on his own. Naturally, right about the time I should have been leaving for my meeting, Eva dropped a heavy object on her big toe. Oh, did she wail! We were at a loss because she was clutching the toe for dear life and refused to give us a peek at it. She cried hard for at least 30 minutes. We felt terrible for her. There was no sign of blood, and every once in a while she could be distracted enough to stop crying, so we felt that it wasn't the sort of thing to deserve an visit to the hospital. However it was frustrating for both of us because she would not let us "do" anything.

All the energy floating around got to Micah too. At one point he was wailing because I wouldn't give him a tic tac, Eva was propped up in the bed crying with pain, Andrew had retreated into his special happy place, and I was in a leaving-the-house frenzy. Andrew said it was a gong show getting the kids into the car but got much better once they were on the road. The kids were then fantastic despite the one hour wait at the dentist which just about put Andrew through the roof.

The reason for taking Micah to the dentist at such a tender age? An abundance of plaque! When I first saw it I was in shock. I thought it was Cheerio residue. But it didn't wash off or brush off. Geez. And here I thought I was doing so well with their diet. I think our dental hygiene routine is decent. My mom suggested that it is saliva related, as she has similar issues with plaque buildup despite a fantastic dental hygiene routine. (I hope you don't mind me sharing, Mom!)

Micah was really accomodating and still in the dental chair, but later complained that it "willy huwt" on a few of his front teeth. I'm sure he won't be overly excited to go the next time.

Eva is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!