Sunday, June 1, 2008

All You Can Do Is Shrug Your Shoulders

Today's post has been brewing for a couple of weeks and really came to a head today. Electrical and water issues follow me wherever I go but now we can add gas problems to the list (or maybe I've had that all along, ha ha).

At this moment our dryer has the distinctly unsafe issue of sparking and leak in the gas line (don't worry, it's now unplugged with the gas turned off). This afternoon's major power surge blew up two clock radios, two telephones, possibly Andrew's computer, and the air conditioner that services the bedrooms.

In Canada this situation would be a major catastrophe. Here, it just is what it is. We shrug our shoulders, sigh, and get down to the business of working out the eventual solution. My handyman is scheduled to come tomorrow to hopefully fix the dryer problem for good. Three days ago he replaced the leaky hose. But this new one is even more leaky and now there is the sparking thing. While he's here hopefully he can fix the air conditioner problem.

We thought that the tv got fried too but after a while it was ok so maybe the computer will be salvageable. At very least the hard drive. If this is the case Andrew may get his Apple sooner than he expected ;)

Last week I did a report with the electrical company that our electrical had started to surge since the neighbors connected their power. So with that the electrical company may reimburse us for the damages. It means some time and effort on my part though. Another learning experience!

3 comments:

  1. Ok. That REALLY sucks. Such a similar scenario here. Cutting corners is the norm. Very difficult to get things done the right way... sorry you have to deal with all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should mention that while I definitely don't enjoy dealing with these problems, I feel blessed because of them. I just don't get so stressed out about stuff that happens even when it seems avoidable. And I learn perserverance and patience through the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, I'm proud of you - you're not only a survivor but a real trouper! Way to go girl! It can only get.... better of course!!

    Love alice :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!