A couple of weeks ago I called the vet just to check in with him about Duna's condition. I told him about her extreme weight loss, her goopy eyes, her coughing, the abdominal breathing, the beginnings of a desperate look in her eyes. He thought that it was just about time to euthanize. I knew it was pretty close but wasn't convinced that it was Time just yet. I was kind of expecting a clear sign, like her not getting up one morning, or stopping eating. (I am praying she won't have a major terrifying respiratory crisis.) So I thought that within days or maybe a week it would be evident that it was Time For That Decision.
Fast forward to this week. Duna is doing unexpectedly well. Better, even! So weird. She is not really coughing much anymore- and not waking us up at night like she used to. Her eye goop is gone. The bump on her nose has also gone. Her breathing still takes a lot of effort but she doesn't do the same sucked-in abdominal breathing. She still has an excellent appetite, though she hasn't gained any weight. She doesn't look desperate anymore. She still follows me around the house and escapes occasionally. She even joins us for walks. Toddler speed is perfect for her.
I had the vet come over just to see her status for himself and give me an opinion. He agreed that it wasn't Time yet. He was surprised and impressed. She is such a trooper.
I am wondering if this is kind of a 'calm before the storm' situation... that she will seem to improve and then deteriorate rapidly. I am prepared for that. At this moment she is doing ok. I am so glad for her excellent pain meds- she doesn't seem to be experiencing any pain from the cancer in her bones.
I am trying not to stress about our upcoming vacation. I know that boarding her at the vet would surely kill her. And I'd hate to ask friends to be responsible for a terminally ill dog. But I cannot imagine euthanizing her just because we are going on vacation. I pray that God will work this out.
-
xoxo hang in there, love. Praying for you and Duna.
ReplyDelete