Monday, February 4, 2008

Birthing in Mexico

I took Claudia to a hospital today to get information about giving birth there. Her sources tell her that this particular hospital is the best of the cheap ones. We entered a dingy, rundown, dark building and spoke to a woman in an office. Claudia can choose a "Normal Birth Package" for $2,500MXN or a "Cesarean Package" for $4,500MXN (~$450CAD). We inquired about how things would go once she was admitted and my heart sunk deeper with each piece of information. I dreamed that Claudia would have a beautiful birth experience, but based on what I heard this will just be something she has to get through, like having wisdom teeth out or something. Relaxation is a key element to reducing pain in childbirth but I don't see how she can possibly relax. She will be admitted, checked for dilation, shaved, given an iv and a catheter. I suspect she will receive an enema as well, and possibly denied food and liquids. She will then be installed in a room with 3 other labouring women, and be with only strangers for the rest of her labour and delivery. After the baby is born, she will get a peek before the baby is whisked away to be suctioned, bathed, medicated, and given formula. She will not be allowed to hold or nurse her baby right after it is born!!! Several hours postpartum, if she is up to it, she may walk to the nursery to breastfeed. She must stay in the hospital for 24 hours, but not beyond unless she wants to incur additional charges.

I didn't know what to say to Claudia. I didn't want to make it worse for her by telling her all the ways it could be better. I couldn't think of any way to safely circumvent any or all these crazy protocols. I don't know if Claudia feels very strongly about any of it, enough for me to fight on her behalf. And even if she did, I couldn't be counted upon to be there fighting every step of the way, because I have to take care of my own family. What to do, what to do. My heart aches just thinking about it.

We also checked out one of the expensive hospitals. This one was much brighter and nicer. The lady at the desk we spoke with had crazy eye makeup. The hospital fees for a "Normal Birth Package" are $10,000-$12,000 MXN ($1,000-$1,200CAD). That is completely out of reach for Claudia's family.

Last year I met a woman who teaches natural childbirth classes. I am going to contact her to find out if there are other options. We'll see where we go from there.

2 comments:

  1. Awful. just awful. i can imagine your horror and feelings of helplesness. so sad that women around the world, especially the poor have to give birth in whatever way is status quo and without the information that would enable them to think of experiencing anything different much less to be able to choose an alternative even if she did have the knowledge of her "choices". i guess that's where most women just hope for a healthy baby at the end of it and figure if that happens then they shouldn't complain. wait, i realize this isn't just in less-developed countries - many women in North America have no idea they have a choice either. let's hope there's another option out there for Claudia...

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMHO: the best you can do to help Claudia is to impart to her what you know. After all, your desire is to empower her and the best way to do that is through knowledge. If she can read/talk to you/etc, and learn, she can incorporate what she can, and do the best she can. Maybe you can find her the ideal situation, and maybe she'll only be able to take what you teach her and improve her experience in the hospital you visited just by knowing about relaxation and bfing and how to have a positive experience. Like Odanie on Pam, her expectations are not what YOU experienced in a Canadian hospital with a midwife and every right to choose: hers are lower and I'm sure she'll be grateful to the hospital staff for providing her with adequate care (though we would not choose to call it adequate!!). It's her perception of her experience that ultimately matters; that, and bfing! LOL! Man, how far we still have to go as a human race in some areas, eh? Too bad we can't trust God and nature's way more often.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!