Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Time for Preschool?

I went to a talk tonight at the school I have in mind for Eva. I was even more impressed. And wondering if I should enroll her sooner than next fall.

I have been thinking a lot about whether it's time to send her or not. I wonder if now she truly needs more than I can give. (That might answer a few behavioural questions too, heheh) A little voice in my head asks wouldn't her life be more enriched if she were cared for more by people other than Andrew and myself? Of course the answer is yes. But I haven't found a person or place with which I feel totally comfortable leaving her. Partly it's a sense of responsibility- being her caregiver is my job and I feel like I'd be taking an easy way out by finding a childcare arrangement with someone who isn't family or a very close friend, and who therefore would honestly and genuinely want to spend the time with her. And because 3 year olds can be quite a lot of work to care for, I don't want to put that responsibility on someone I'm not as close with. Now then, I don't factor in the fact that 3 year olds can be a lot of fun, too.

When we visited the school a few weeks ago, the director told me that Eva was obviously very ready. Eva loved going there and told me I could go home and do laundry while she is there. The director told me she could start anytime.

Tomorrow I will talk with Eva more about it. And I will talk to Andrew.

I am so excited by the Montessori method. It makes such sense to me and matches my parenting style so perfectly. I want to get into a Montessori classroom and get my hands on the materials, especially the math materials. So cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!