Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine Party Day

We partied today! For lunch we went to a tea hosted by a couple of ladies from COF. Very nice. A little tough to chat while managing the 2 little ones, but nice. The kids didn't eat much but cake. This in addition to the m&m's I gave them this morning. Micah wouldn't nap while we were there, and wouldn't nap in the car, and then it was time to go to Heide's for a valentine's play date. They had a great back yard with lots of fun toys but my kids preferred to play inside which meant that I didn't get much 'ladies' time with the other moms who were out on the patio. Kids ate cupcakes. By the time we left I was exhausted and so was Micah. Eva was quite energetic and in pretty good spirits though, which I appreciated. The last couple of days we've all been sleeping later than usual which is marvellous!

While we were at the playdate my cleaning lady called. I have told her again and again to close the door behind her when she leaves the house, and obviously take her key along. But she insists on leaving the door unlatched. So Duna escapes. This morning, case in point. Gah! And this afternoon, while I was way across town, she took the garbage out and left her key inside. And the door blew shut behind her. She was locked out of the house for 2 hours before she went to the neighbors' and called me. I told her to go to the other neighbor's and ask her son to jump into our yard. I guess she did because she was gone when we got home. Wow.

Micah slept for 20 minutes during the ride home, ate lots of chicken, then started throwing stuff around. Had to take a break from supper to put him to bed. Eva and I finished eating then had some good times reading counting books.

I was interested to note today she called the letter D "duh". We have been talking about what letter a word starts with by matching that sound with the sound of the letters of the alphabet (which she knows because of an awesome video by Leapfrog, called The Letter Factory). Anyway I find it extremely interesting that she called a letter by its sound, not its name. That is how the Montessori method does it. Speaking of that, they also teach cursive writing before reading. Fascinating! And here I thought I was mixing it up by putting only the lower case magnets on the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!