We like to eat french toast and oatmeal. You may agree that these items are especially tasty when accompanied by something sweet like sugar or syrup. I am however concerned about the impact of refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup on our bodies. So I bit the bullet and started spending $9 per bottle on pure maple syrup to use for sweetening instead. Not cheap! Well, yesterday at the store I saw that one brand of the pure (organic, nontheless!) maple syrup had a different price: $2.70. I bought 8 bottles!
Has anyone tried to reduce or eliminate sugar from their diet? How did you do it and what kind of results did you achieve? I'm pretty sure that pure maple syrup is more "ok" for our bodies than refined sugars, but just how much "better" is it? And is it possible to really enjoy life and food (and pancakes and oatmeal) without sugar?
-
Yes! I've tried very hard to cut down on refined sugars. Maple Syrup and honey are good substitutes for sugar cane because they are less processed and closer to nature, but they are still high in calories so I try to keep my doses small.
ReplyDeleteWhen baking, honey & maple syrup can be used in the place of sugar, but reduce the amount because honey and ms tend to be sweeter! Also, (no sugar added) applesauce can be used to sweeten baking and cut back on honey/ms.
I find that sugar is pretty addictive for me, and if I don't eat ANY for 3 or 4 days, after that it is much easier for me to be moderate about sugar intake. I start tasting food for what it really tastes like, instead of always hunting for sweet. Hence, it IS possible to enjoy foods without sugar...although french toast without syrup may be a stretch, even for me.
The best price for real ms is Costco, which of course you don't have in Mx, but you may have when you get back! $9 for 1 litre.