Monday, February 11, 2008

Claudia Update

I did call that woman who teaches natural childbirth classes. I found out some very interesting information! For instance she has actually attended some home births here in Torreon. That surprised me a little. However she is not overly inclined to continue to do so, since there are so many opposed to it. If something did go really wrong she would get whisked off to jail.

She told me she has a small team of OB/GYN, pediatricians and childbirth educators. She has only three OB/GYNs, one of whom she said is very close to retirement. They support just the kind of birth many women are able to choose in Canada or the US- the ability to move around unrestricted, without unnecessary interventions, and give birth in any position. I spoke to one of these doctors and was impressed. He was very gentle, soft spoken, kind, and without arrogance. Anyway he also offered to see Claudia for half his normal consult fee. I think that is great, but I'm not sure that means he would give her enough discount on the fees to attend her birth to make it affordable for her. From what he said, even if you find a hospital with affordable fees, it's the doctor fees that cost upwards of $1,000, which is beyond her means.

Tomorrow Claudia is going to spend the day here. She will help with the kids during Bible Study and then do some light cleaning. I asked her to babysit in the evening while I go to a presentation for the school we found for Eva, and she will just stay here rather than heading all the way home and back. I will have some time to talk to her more about the birth process. Hopefully I can support and encourage her with information! There is so much, pray for me that I choose just the right topics and can communicate well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are so encouraging. Please don't be shy!